The Hanoi Police Department on December 6 announced the arrest of nine individuals for having reportedly hosted illegal online gambles, loans, and bets worth a total of VND600 billion (US$25 million).
|Nine suspects were arrested at the Hanoi Police Department. Photo: Vietnam News Agency|
The Hanoi Police Department reported that a police raid was underway in both Hanoi and HCM City on December 3 to catch the said individuals red-handed at nine locations.
On scene, the police seized 12 cellphones, one piston, more than 100 bullets, more than 200 kilograms of explosives, two cars, and other evidence.
The gang is led by 43-year-old Le Van Thang and 35-year-old Nguyen Thanh Nam. Their operation has been active since 2021, with some VND1 billion worth of transactions each day, making the total sum of illegal money worth VND600 billion.
According to Thang, the gang’s operation has become busier during the World Cup 2022 tournament, which started on November 18 in Qatar.
According to the police, Thang was unemployed and had recently opened a business covering his illegal activities in gambling, betting, and lending large sums of money.
Thang and Nam created accounts on many betting websites overseas and handed them over to their fellows for management. The accounts were then delivered to users to make bets and loans.
The police is undertaking further investigation of the case.
- Hanoi urged to speed up digital transformation in smart city construction
- Cultural heritage to propel Hanoi’s future development
- Hanoi seeks UNESCO’s support in preserving cultural heritage
- Hanoi's taxi companies seek permission to operate electric cars
- Hanoi targets 100% disbursement of public investment plan in 2023
- Hanoi plans to restore local relics with US$593.6 million