70th anniversary of Hanoi's Liberation Day Vietnam - Asia 2023 Smart City Summit Hanoi celebrates 15 years of administrative boundary adjustment 12th Vietnam-France decentrialized cooperation conference 31st Sea Games - Vietnam 2021 Covid-19 Pandemic
Home / News / Viet Nam
South Korean Gov’t appeals court order: Vietnam requests respect history
Minh Nguyen 18:48, 2023/03/09
Vietnam said it advocates putting the past aside and looking to the future, but it does mean ignoring the truth.

Vietnam requested South Korea to properly perceive and respect historical facts, Deputy Spokeswoman Pham Thu Hang of Vietnam’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs said at a press conference in Hanoi today [March 9].

Vietnamese woman Nguyen Thi Thanh is seen on a laptop screen as she speaks to reporters via video call at the Seoul Central District Court in Seoul on Feb 7, 2023. Photo: Yonhap

Hang made the statement following the news that the South Korean Ministry of Defense has appealed the court ruling to compensate a Vietnamese victim whose family members were killed by South Korean soldiers in Vietnam more than 50 years ago.  

“We deeply regret that the South Korean government appealed the court ruling, which did not reflect the objective truth of this matter.

Hang said that Vietnam advocates “putting aside the past, looking to the future” but it does not mean that the truth should be ignored.

In the spirit of comprehensive strategic partnership, Vietnam suggested that the Korean side properly understand and respect historical facts, encourage practical actions to address the aftermaths of the war and work to improve ties between the two nations and between their peoples, she noted.

Last month, the Seoul Central District Court ordered the South Korean government to compensate KRW30 million (US$22,000) in damages and additional funds for a delay to Nguyen Thi Thanh, a survivor of attacks on civilians conducted by the South Korean troops in 1968 when they fought alongside the US during the war in Vietnam.

Thanh filed a suit against the South Korean government in 2020.

According to the court, Thanh lost her mom, two sisters, and 71 neighbors in a massacre perpetrated by the 2nd Marine Brigade of the South Korean Marines while on a mission during the war in Vietnam.

It served as the first official legal admission of South Korea's responsibility for wartime atrocities.

The South Korean Defense Ministry said in a statement to Reuters that it will "fully cooperate with the trial proceedings under continued consultations with related agencies to receive an appellate ruling based on substantial truth.”


 A group of South Koreans bowed to say sorry at a memorial service held in Vietnam's Central Province of Quang Nam on Feb 14, 2023, for the local victims of the massacre that happened in 1968. Photo: K.L 
TAG: south korea defens ministry appeal court ruling seoul court Vietnam women quang nam vietnam massacre
Other news
12:06, 2024/03/01
Vietnam news in brief - March 1
Check out the Hanoi Times to keep up to date on Vietnam and its capital, Hanoi.
09:53, 2024/03/01
Vietnam opposes Chinese vessels entering Vanguard Bank
The Tu Chính (Vanguard Bank) is part of Vietnam's continental shelf and is under Vietnamese jurisdiction in full accordance with the 1982 United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS).
14:06, 2024/02/29
Vietnam news in brief - February 29
Read The Hanoi Times for more updates about Vietnam.
10:26, 2024/02/29
International partners vow to support Vietnam in addressing UXO
Approximately 100,000 people in Vietnam are victims of unexploded ordnance, though the war has passed for five decades.
14:16, 2024/02/28
Vietnam news in brief - February 28
Read the Hanoi Times for news about the country
20:10, 2024/02/27
Urban rail projects in Hanoi and HCMC must be prioritized: Politburo
The Politbureau's conclusion called for the study and piloting of public investment-private management and private investment-public use models, as well as the completion of Transit Oriented Development (TOD) models.