Governmental ministries are seeking approval from the National Assembly (NA) for an investment policy of the National Target Program on New Rural Development for the 2021-25 period.
The proposal, drafted by the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development (MARD) with support from relevant ministries, will be submitted to the NA by the end of June. Under which, One Commune One Product program (OCOP) plays a key role to boost the country's agricultural economy and rural development
|Deputy Prime Minister Trinh Dinh Dung and delegates at the conference held on March 23. Photo: VGP|
It is necessary to continue defining that the OCOP should be given priority in the comprehensive policy of rural economic development, associated with working out a sustainable new rural construction strategy.
“It is defined as a long-term program,” Deputy Prime Minister Trinh Dinh Dung told a conference on summarizing the OCOP for the 2018-2020 period on March 23 in Hanoi.
The national program is required to focus on developing six product groups (food, beverages, herbal, fabrics-apparel, souvenir-furniture-decoration, tourism), improving the quality as well as enhancing innovation and creativity, especially for OCOP products at the national level to expand the market.
He noted that during the implementation process, rules of supply and demand must be respected, taking into account demands from domestic, regional and international markets.
In addition, the program needs to enhance the involvement of private economic sectors including businesses and production households and cooperatives. Dung required it needs to have prioritized credit and land policies, promote the application of science and technology to encourage the participation of the private sectors, then to form value chains and unique OCOP products with high value.
Regarding the proposals and recommendations of ministries, branches and localities, Dung requested the MARD to take into account and continue to coordinate with relevant ministries and central branches to develop the OCOP program for the 2021-2025 period.
|An OCOP store outside the conference on March 23. Photo: VGP|
The country has 2,439 business organizations recognized as the manufacturers of OCOP products, of which the private sector accounts for 59% and the remaining is collective economy.
Reports from 59 provinces and centrally run cities showed that 4,469 products have been assessed and recognized, exceeding 1.86 times the target. The number of products achieving 3-4 stars at provincial level accounts for 98.3%.
Regarding resources for implementation, the OCOP program mobilized VND22.8 trillion (US$987 million). The budget at all levels accounts for 7% of the total, down 6.4% compared to the proposed plan of 13.4%.
Currently, the country has more than 142 OCOP showrooms. The OCOP regional and provincial fairs and exhibitions with more than 10,000 stalls have gradually become local brands and tourist destinations. Modern retail systems nationwide such as Central Retail, Saigon Co.op, MMega Market have also actively participated in consuming OCOP products.
In only Hanoi, the city's authorities are promoting production and sale of handicraft products, especially OCOP products, typical rural industrial items, and those with market potential in the capital, provinces and cities nationwide. According to its plan, each district/town will have two operating OCOP showrooms or more. The city targets to complete the evaluation and classification for at least 2,000 OCOP products by 2025.
Vietnam has proposed and promoted the Global Networking Initiative on OCOP / OVOP (One Village One Product) / OTOP (One Tambon One Product) movement in ASEAN rural development.