Over 26,000 students, mostly in the coronavirus epicentre in central Vietnam, along with others quarantined for having close contact with confirmed Covid-19 patients, will take the national high school examination on September 2-4, Kinh Te & Do Thi reported, citing the education ministry.
|Candidates complete the national high school exam in the “first phase”. Photo: Ha Linh|
Deputy Minister of Education and Training Nguyen Huu Do told the media on August 24 that despite the significantly lower number of test-takers in the second phase compared to the first one, the education ministry is committed to carrying out the dual goals of ensuring safety for students and guaranteeing that the examination is fair and objective.
According to statistics from the education ministry, 26,014 high school seniors, mainly in Danang, Quang Nam and Dak Lak, the country’s Covid-19 hotspots, where social distancing measures are imposed to stem the outbreak, could not take the exam in the first phase earlier this month.
VnExpress quoted authorities in Danang as saying that over 10,000 senior students in the city will be tested for Covid-19 before taking the national high school exam next week.
If a student is found infected with the coronavirus, he or she will be exempted from attending the exam and will graduate automatically, as an exceptional case.
Students quarantined after coming in contact with infected patients will take the exam inside their isolation facilities or places nearby under the supervision of medical staff.
All candidates attending the exam are required to wear face masks, have their body temperature checked and disinfect hands.
Earlier, over 870,000 high school students nationwide, except those from localities under lockdown, sat the graduation and college admission tests from August 8 to 10, and many localities said they have completed grading the tests.
This year’s national high school exam came a month and a half late due to the impacts of the Covid-19 pandemic.