31st Sea Games - Vietnam 2021 Covid-19 Pandemic
Home / Investment / News
Long Son Petrochemicals complex begins construction
Ngoc Thuy 00:06, 2018/02/25
The construction of the Long Son Petrochemicals (LSP) complex has been started on February 24 and the complex is scheduled to start commercial operation in the first half of 2022.
The LSP complex is invested by a joint venture between Thailand's Siam Cement Group (SCG) and PetroVietnam (PVN) with the total capital of US$5.4 billion on an area of 464 hectares. 
 
Illustration photo.
Illustration photo.
Located in southern Ba Ria-Vung Tau province in Vietnam and being the first of its kind in Vietnam, the complex targets to develop a 1-million-ton ethylene cracker with a flexible gas and naphtha feed, creating an olefin capacity of 1.6 million tons per year.

At present, Dung Quat Refinery, the first-ever oil refinery in Vietnam, processes about 6.5 million tons of crude oil per year, meeting only 30% of the domestic demand for petroleum products, according to the Ministry of Industry and Trade. 

The project's construction, therefore, is in line with the Politburo's development strategy of the Vietnamese petroleum sector by 2025, with vision to 2035, stressed Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc at the ground-breaking ceremony. 

As such, the project will play an important role in facilitating the Vietnamese refinery and petrochemical industry, with a purpose to serve domestic demand and export alike, Phuc said. 

The Prime Minister requested local authorities to supervise the investor's compliance with regulations on protecting the natural and social environments, maintaining locals' traditional culture, and restoring local natural forests to serve sustainable and long-term development.

The project is expected to create jobs for over 20,000 employees over the construction process, said the Chairman of Ba Ria-Vung Tau Provincial People's Committee, Nguyen Van Trinh, at the event. 

Once operational, it is expected to create jobs for over 1,000 technical workers and contribute about US$60 million per year to the provincial and state budgets, Trinh informed. 

SCG currently holds 71% of LSP's charter capital, while PVN owns the remaining 29%. Previously, SCG revealed its intention to fully acquire the LSP complex, according to a report released on January 19. 

However, SCG's media representative in Vietnam has not verified the potential purchase of PVN's 29% to Hanoitimes

The Long Son Petrochemicals complex was licensed in 2008 with an initial investment capital of $3.7 billion by three groups: PVN, Vietnam Chemical Group (Vinachem), and SCG. 

VinaChem, however, withdrew its capital and was replaced by Qatar Petroleum International (QPI) in 2012.

In April 2017, QPI also decided to withdraw from the LSP complex. At the time, through its wholly-owned subsidiary Vina SCG Chemicals (VSCG), SCG acquired a 25% stake from QPI in LSP Limited, the investor of the LSP complex, according to a statement published on SCG's website.
Other news
21:51, 2023/51/06
$8 billion to be pumped into Vietnam’s Central Coast
Seven international partners will support the investment in infrastructure, transport, urban development, and climate response.
16:26, 2023/26/02
FDI to Vietnam’s real estate rises by over 70% in 2022
Vietnam's real estate market continues to show strong appeal to foreign investors despite global economic difficulties.
21:36, 2023/36/12
Laos vows to facilitate Vietnam's investors
The Government of Laos pledged to amend the law to facilitate the investment of Vietnamese companies that have poured more than US$5.34 billion in the neighboring country so far.
17:49, 2023/49/02
Hanoi lures nearly $1.7 billion in foreign investment in 2022
The capital city ranks among the top localities in foreign direct investment attraction.
17:33, 2022/33/11
European Investment Bank will provide Vietnam climate finance
Vietnam's Minister of Finance will visit Luxembourg soon to discuss the update of mutual agreements and address issues in regard to EIB-funded projects in the Southeast Asian country.
16:56, 2022/56/09
Vietnam stands as credible partner for foreign investors
The Vietnamese Government has made efforts to create favorable conditions for local and foreign businesses to ensure their long-term operation.